Onondaga County Child Custody Attorney Fights to Protect Parental Rights
We help you maintain healthy parental relationships through difficult family changes
The divorce process is complicated and exposes everyone involved to a lot of challenges. One of the most emotionally tolling parts of a divorce is when there is a custody dispute between the parents. Jeff DeRoberts is an experienced family law attorney at the DeRoberts Law Firm in Onondaga County, making your family transition as seamless and comfortable as possible for everyone. Our only focus is doing everything possible to protect the bonds you have with your children.
What does the “best interest of the child” mean in New York courts?
Most states, including New York, use what is known as the “best interests standard” when deciding child custody disputes. The state gives judges broad discretion in determining what is important to making these determinations. It is of the utmost important that you get an experienced family law attorney that knows what facts judges are likely to weigh heavily as well as how to present those facts in the light most favorable to the best interests of your child. We have been very successful in persuading Onondaga County courts that giving custody to our clients is in the best interest of their children.
What factors do courts often consider when determining which parent should get custody of the child?
The family court judges of Onondaga County do their best to award custody based on what they believe will be best for your child’s future. Unfortunately, judges are only limited to making decisions based on what information they are presented on the record in court. There are a couple factors judges regularly look for in every case in making these determinations about your family. We have found that these factors often include:
- Which parents provided the most care and nurture of the child prior to the divorce or splitting up of the parents?
- What are the work schedules of the parents?
- Do either of the parents have a criminal background?
- Have there been incidents of physical or mental abuse?
- Will one parent provide a more stable and safe environment than the other parent?
- What is the physical and mental health of the parent seeking custodial rights?
- Are there other siblings and where do they live?
- What are your child’s preferences (depending on the age of your child)?
- What are the benefits and disadvantages of awarding custody to either of the parents?
Contact an experienced Onondaga County child custody lawyer today
You do not need to go through your child custody dispute alone. Jeff DeRoberts is the family law attorney who will be there with you every step of the way, protecting your relationship with your children. We can be reached to schedule a free initial consultation by calling us at 315-479-6445, or you can contact us online.