NY DWI Laws
Count on our savvy legal skills and personalized representation when you are facing a drunk driving charge
Drunk driving offenses are some of the most common legal problems in the United States. In the past year alone, more than 1.2 million drivers were arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or narcotics. Driving while intoxicated, or DWI, can lead to significant consequences including license suspension, probation, fines and jail. If you’ve been arrested for a drunk driving violation, it is vital that you seek assistance from an experienced DWI lawyer as soon as possible to ensure your rights are protected. Criminal defense attorney Jeff DeRoberts of the DeRoberts Law Firm has more than 20 years of experience helping clients throughout Central New York successfully overcome DWI arrests. Don’t gamble with your future, call our office today.
Providing you with extensive legal knowledge and guidance throughout the entire process
Under New York State law, there are a number of driving violations involving drugs and/or alcohol. These violations include:
- Driving while intoxicated – This requires a blood alcohol content (BAC) of .08 or higher. For commercial drivers, the BAC must be .04 or higher.
- Aggravated driving while intoxicated – BAC of .18 or higher
- Driving while ability impaired by alcohol – BAC of .05 to .07
- Chemical test refusal – Drivers may be arrested for refusal to submit to a chemical test.
- Zero Tolerance Law – Drivers under the age of 21 may be arrested with a BAC of .02 to .07.
Drivers may also be arrested and charged with Driving While Ability Impaired by a Single Drug other than Alcohol or Driving While Ability Impaired by a Combined Influence of Drugs or Alcohol.
It is important to understand how alcohol affects your body. According to the New York State DMV, the five factors that impact how you react to alcohol are:
- Your body weight
- Your gender
- The amount of alcohol you drink
- The amount of food you eat before and while drinking
- The length of time during your alcohol consumption
Generally, your body processes one drink per hour. Driving under the influence of alcohol can be a life-altering mistake that impacts your entire future. Syracuse DWI defense attorney Jeff DeRoberts has the experience and knowledge you need to minimize the consequences of your actions and protect your future.
Trust Syracuse, New York’s premier DWI attorney with your most challenging DWI matters
With more than 20 years of experience, criminal defense attorney Jeff DeRoberts is your best resource for handling your NY DWI case. Your initial consultation is free and we offer flexible office hours for your convenience.