Divorce and Family Law Practice Areas

Syracuse Child Custody Attorney Defending Your Custodial Rights

A family law lawyer in Syracuse caring about the best interests of your children

Children sometimes get caught in the middle of the divorce when parents decide to split up. It is important to find an attorney that is compassionate to the needs and best interests of you and your children so that children are minimally affected by the changes to your family. Jeff DeRoberts is an experienced family law attorney. With his legal team at the DeRoberts Law Firm, they have been providing compassionate care to Syracuse families for more than 20 years. His personalized approach to every client allows him to provide sound legal advice specifically tailored to the needs of your family.

What are the different types of child custody arrangements for Syracuse, New York families?

New York has several options for awarding or dividing the custodial rights of parents involved in custodial disputes. These determinations are highly fact-based, and judges are allowed to consider any information deemed relevant in awarding custody. This means the attorney more savvy and skilled at persuading Onondaga County judges with favorable facts will have a significant impact on the future structure of your family. Don’t let the custody of your children hang in the balance. Trust Syracuse child custody attorney Jeff DeRoberts to be your voice in court.

Some of the custodial options New York family law judges consider include:

  • Joint custodyJoint custody is when both of the parents each have a share of the physical and legal custody of the child. Joint custody does not usually mean equal physical custody. Most of these arrangements award one parent the child in one of the homes more often. Syracuse courts generally favor joint custody so that both parents are allowed to participate in the upbringing of the child.
  • Sole custody — The laws of New York do not favor awarding sole custody to either of the parents. The courts only use their discretion to award sole custody when one of the parents demonstrates that awarding joint custody would be harmful to the best interests of the child.
  • Third party custody — Sometimes third parties (usually a grandparent, aunt or sibling) in Syracuse family law courts are awarded custody of a child. For a third party to be awarded custody to someone they are not the biological parent of, they must convince the court that it is not in the best interest of the child for either parent to have custody.

Getting an amendment or modification to a child custody order in Syracuse

It is not uncommon for circumstances to change to the point where one of the parents needs to file for an amendment to a previous child custody order. New York law allows a custody order modification when there has been a substantial change since the last custody order. Syracuse courts do not have a strict standard on what is considered to be substantial.

The determining factor is essentially whether the change warrants a modification to the order to better serve the best interests of the child. When amendments become necessary, attorney DeRoberts first tries to negotiate an agreement with the other parent to avoid the cost and struggle that comes with taking a legal action against another parent. If an agreement cannot be reached, we litigate strongly on your behalf to persuade the court to modify the custody order appropriately, or fight to maintain the integrity of the existing order if that is in your best interest.

Contact an experienced child custody attorney in Syracuse today for a free consultation

You and your children deserve the best legal representation possible when it comes to protecting the relationships you have with your kids. You can schedule a free consultation with the family law attorney at the DeRoberts Law Firm by calling us at 315-479-6445, or you can contact us online.

If you are looking for a Syracuse criminal defense attorney to protect your rights, look no further.
contact us for a free initial consultation

Contact Us

for a free case evaluation